The next big project was to make a matching set of bedside drawers, with a little ledge to keep your phone on at night.
One large consignment of construction pine later, and I set to work rough cutting all the pieces I would need. Everything apart from the drawer bottoms was made out of the same half-inch stock. The carcase side panels were laminated from the same stock also.
The carcase uses horizontal rectangular frames recessed into grooves, which then act as the drawer runners.
The L-shaped design presented a slight challenge. The recessed side panel uses a sliding dovetail to secure it to the base, so getting that to fit tightly and accurately took a little time. Very happy with the result, though.
The base of the carcase is dovetailed on for strength side-to-side, then hidden from view forever by the skirt which is also dovetailed on (half blind mitred dovetails!), but this time front-to-back. The top of the carcase also has a big couple of dovetails to keep it from splaying out there also. Super strong!
The drawers fronts all have half blind dovetails, partly because they look lovely and partly because I felt like I needed the practice. The drawer backs are held together by wedged through-tenons. The drawer bottoms are ¼” hardwood ply, so still nice to look at and nice and flat without any real effort on my part.
The skirts and carcase tops have a stepped bead, which was surprisingly easy and satisfying to make.
Stained with Mann’s Antique Pine water-based woodstain, and finished with Osmo Top Oil.
(Many thanks to Lovely Wife for catching me before I made two identical units, rather than mirrored ones.)