This was one of those projects where I started with a very simple drawing of the chevron pattern as a coffee table top, then figured it out how to build it as I went along.
The wood started life as a pallet encrusted with concrete dust. After carefully checking and removing stray nails, a long day of hand planing (and plane sharpening, natch) revealed some rather pretty wood hiding under all the crap.
The chevron pattern happens to be a good way of avoiding the nail holes in the deckboards.
I think the darker chevrons are a particularly attractive colour of wood. The legs are two thicker stringers (bearers) from the pallet laminated together then cut to size.
The legs are attached to the stretchers with simple mortise and tenon joinery.
I particularly like the simplicity and effectiveness of the notches all the way round the legs; I’m pleased how crisply they came out.
Glueing up all those 45 degree mitres on the table top was challenging. (Note to self: glue first, cut to size later.)
To hide the subframe supporting the chevron top, I created a frame using dovetails. I was considering using mitre joints, but frankly couldn’t face any more after the table top.
Another thing I improvised was the cork inlay around the table top. It provides a bit of expansion room for the table top and lends the border frame a bit of character.
I’m looking forward to getting a router plane for my rebates (rabbets) and suchlike. My Stanley No. 50 Combination Plane is frankly a bit fiddly to set up and really needs support on both sides to stop it tipping and messing up the rebate. Luckily Christmas is just around the corner, so with enough hinting someone might buy me one 🙂
While I originally started out making this as an experiment to use up some of the pallet wood I’d salvaged, rather than as a commission, it got a lot of interest from people who saw me building it and I’ve already sold it.